Can you waffle a falafel? Yes you can! Carla shows you how!
- step-by-step directions
- Falafel Waffle
- 1 can chickpeas (rinsed and drained, 15 ounces)
- 1/2 cup scallions (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon parsley (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro (finely chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs (fried for garnish)
- oil spray (for greasing)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
Harissa Tahini Spread
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 teaspoon harissa (store-bought)
- 1/2 lemon (zest & juice)
- 1/4 cup water
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- For the Waffle: preheat waffle iron.
- In the bowl of the food processor, add the chickpeas, scallions, parsley, cilantro, garlic, cumin, coriander, cayenne, baking powder and pulse to combine until finely chopped. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the eggs and pulse to combine. Add the flour until a dough comes together.
- Grease waffle iron with cooking spray. Add batter to waffle iron and cook for 3-5 minutes until golden-brown and crispy. Serve with fried egg on top and harissa tahini sauce.
- For the Harissa Tahini Spread: in a small bowl, add the yogurt, tahini, harissa, lemon zest and juice, and water. Mix to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Helpful Tips:
- Replace the all-purpose flour with chickpea flour for a gluten-free dish.
- For dinner, serve waffle with a salad of fresh mixed herbs that are in the waffle.
- For a normal falafel recipe, thicken the batter with flour, and fry.
rate this recipe
Cheesy Garlic Donuts
Red Wine Salted Popcorn
Chocolate Baseball Extravaganza
Gazpacho Bloody Mary
Thai Fried Shrimp Cakes with Sweet Chili Sauce
Fried Peach Hand-Pies
Taco Grilled Cheese
Lemon Tendercake with Blueberry Compote
Bacon Wrapped Grilled Cheese
Jam & Gin
Bacon and Ramp Scrambled Eggs