This delicious frittata like dish is a must for your next brunch
Fennel Sausage, Jalapeno & Feta Strata
- 8 cups Crusty Italian Country-Style Bread; cubed
- 1 pound Sweet Italian Fennel Sausage; removed from casing
- 2 tablespoons Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Fennel Bulbs; thinly sliced
- 2 Garlic Cloves; minced
- 1 Jalapeno; sliced
- 12 Eggs; whisked
- 1 1/2 cups Half and Half
- 1 1/2 cups Milk
- 10 ounces Feta Cheese; crumbled
- Salt & Pepper; to taste
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Cut Bread into 1 inch cubes. Spread out onto two sheet trays. Bake bread cubes until lightly toasted and dried, about 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Raise oven temperature to 375°F.
- In a large sauté pan, heat Olive Oil over medium-high heat. Add Fennel Sausage and sauté, crumbling into large chunks, until browned (about 8 minutes). With a slotted spoon, remove Sausage from the pan and set aside. Add the sliced Fennel to the pan and sauté until it begins to brown slightly (about 5-7 minutes). Add Garlic and Jalapeno and cook for 2 more minutes until fragrant. Add the browned Sausage back into the pan, stir to combine and set aside off the heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the Eggs, Milk, Half and Half, and season with Salt and Pepper.
- Add the Bread and Sausage mixture to the Eggs and toss to coat. Gently fold in the crumbled Feta.
- Pour mixture into a greased 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes uncovered. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.