Italian doesn't have to be difficult with this amazing dish from Mario Batali.
Fettuccine with Sausage Ragu
- 1 1/2 pounds Fettuccine
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 pound Hot Italian Sausage (casing removed)
- 1 tablespoon Thyme Leaves
- 1 tablespoon Oregano Leaves
- 2 Garlic Cloves (thinly sliced)
- 1 cup White Wine
- 1 cup Fresh Peas
- 1 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 14 .5 ounce can Whole Peeled San Marzano Tomatoes (crushed)
- 1 Yellow Onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 teaspoon Ground Fennel Seeds or Fennel Pollen
- Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
- Freshly Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (to serve)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook Fettuccine 1 minute less than package instructions. Drain and reserve a cup of Pasta Water.
- Heat a large skillet with a few tablespoons of Olive Oil and add Sausage. Cook, breaking up with a potato masher into small pieces, until Sausage is crispy. Add the Herbs and the Garlic and cook. Once fragrant, about a minute, deglaze with the White Wine scraping up brown bits from the pan.
- Add the Peas, a pinch of Crushed Red Pepper Flakes, Fennel Seeds or Pollen, the Tomatoes, and the Onion. Bring to a boil. Cook until sauce has thickened slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Remove all but about 1 1/2 cups of Sauce and reserve for another use. Add the cooked noodles to the pan and toss with the Sauce, thinning with reserved Pasta Water as needed.
- Garnish with freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano to serve.