Fig Upside Down Cake
This fig dessert is so good, your friends will think you could be an iron chef (even though this recipe is crazy easy)!
- step-by-step directions
Fig Upside Down Cake
- 2 sticks plus 3 tablespoons unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 1 lemon
- 1 orange (zest and juice)
- 1 pound fresh figs (ends trimmed, cut in half)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- whipped cream and powdered sugar (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 3 tablespoons of butter. Add the brown sugar, juice of half a lemon and juice of half an orange, and stir until everything is dissolved, about 2-3 minutes.
- Scrape this mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Arrange the cut figs flesh-side down in an even layer on top of the brown sugar mixture in a circular pattern.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the orange zest, flour, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, cream together the 2 sticks of butter with the granulated sugar. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then beat in the sour cream and vanilla. Then, stir the dry mixture into the wet mixture with a wooden spoon.
- Using a large spoon, carefully dollop the batter over the figs in the cake pan. Transfer to the oven and bake until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Let rest in the cake pan for about 10 minutes. Then run a knife around the edges and invert the cake onto a platter. Cool completely before serving.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of powdered sugar.
- Tip: Caramel + Fruit + Cake Batter = Pure Perfection!
Lemon Champagne Float
Crispy Everything Bagel Baked Ravioli
Pork Chop Milanese with Peach and Potato Salad
Cornmeal Apple Crumble Skillet
Camp Stew (Budae Jiggae)
Salmon with Chimichurri Sauce and Cauliflower Mash
Pork and Beef Meatballs
Savory Rye French Toast with Corned Beef Hash and Cheddar Onion Butter
Paella with Chorizo, Shrimp, Calamari, Mussels, Green Peas, and Curry Butter