Fig Upside Down Cake
This fig dessert is so good, your friends will think you could be an iron chef (even though this recipe is crazy easy)!
- step-by-step directions
Fig Upside Down Cake
- 2 sticks plus 3 tablespoons unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 1 lemon
- 1 orange (zest and juice)
- 1 pound fresh figs (ends trimmed, cut in half)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- whipped cream and powdered sugar (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 3 tablespoons of butter. Add the brown sugar, juice of half a lemon and juice of half an orange, and stir until everything is dissolved, about 2-3 minutes.
- Scrape this mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Arrange the cut figs flesh-side down in an even layer on top of the brown sugar mixture in a circular pattern.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the orange zest, flour, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, cream together the 2 sticks of butter with the granulated sugar. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then beat in the sour cream and vanilla. Then, stir the dry mixture into the wet mixture with a wooden spoon.
- Using a large spoon, carefully dollop the batter over the figs in the cake pan. Transfer to the oven and bake until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Let rest in the cake pan for about 10 minutes. Then run a knife around the edges and invert the cake onto a platter. Cool completely before serving.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of powdered sugar.
- Tip: Caramel + Fruit + Cake Batter = Pure Perfection!
Holiday Gingerbread Cookie
Zabaglione with Berries and Chocolate
Rich Chocolate Bundt Cake with Toasted Almonds
PB&J Cereal French Toast
Everything Bagel Cracker and Spinach Dip
Noodles with Cabbage and Onions
Make-Ahead Beef Bourguignon
Breakfast Carbonara Casserole
Sweet Potato Pierogies
Sugar Cookie Christmas Trees