A deliciously sweet custard!
Gloria Estefan's Flan Tradicional
- 1 cup Granulated sugar (plus 1 tablespoon extra)
- 6 Large egg yolks
- 3 Large eggs
- 14 ounce Sweetened condensed milk
- 12 ounce Evaporated milk
- 1 cup Whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Heat the granulated sugar in a medium heavy-bottom saucepan over medium heat without stirring until the sugar starts to melt and turn a golden color along the edges of the pan. (Note: You must stay near the stove at all times and pay close attention to make sure sugar doesn't burn.) Reduce the heat to medium and swirl the saucepan to cover the bottom evenly. Continue to heat the sugar, swirling the pan constantly, until it caramelizes and the caramel takes on a golden brown color. Remove from heat and immediately pour an even amount into each of ten ramekins (or a 2-quart ovenproof mold). Using oven mitts or a hot pad to grab the ramekins (or mold) and working quickly so the caramel doesn't harden, swirl the ramekins (or mold), making sure the bottom of each is covered completely and the caramel goes up the sides a bit. Set aside.
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350F.
- Using and electric mixer set at the lowest speed, mix the egg yolks and eggs in a large bowl. Beat in the condensed milk, then the evaporated milk, then the whole milk. Using a wire whisk, gently fold in the remaining tablespoon of sugar, the salt, and the vanilla.
- Slowly pour an equal amount of the custard into each of the ramekins. Using a wooden spoon, skim off any bubbles that form on top.
- Transfer the ramekins to a baking dish filled with hot water that will rise two-thirds of the way up the sides of the ramekins once all ramekins are in the dish. Remove or add hot water as necessary as you add each ramekin.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour or until the centers of the flans are firm to the touch. (Cooking time will be 75 to 90 minutes if using a single mold.)
- Place the ramekins on a wire rack and allow to cool to room temperature. Then refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- To unmold, run a sharp knife very carefully around the edge of each custard. Place a dessert plate on top of each ramekin, flip it over, and tap gently until the flan is loose. Remove the ramekin and serve chilled or at room temperature.