French Onion Dippers
All the flavor of French Onion Soup in easy to easy dippers!
- step-by-step directions
French Onion Dippers
- 1 stick butter (separated)
- 4-5 large onions (thinly sliced)
- 1 small bunch fresh thyme (tied)
- 1/2 cup sherry
- 8 cups beef stock
- 1 loaf sourdough bread (cut into 1/2-inch slices)
- 1 1/2 pounds Gruyere cheese (sliced)
- In a large, heavy bottomed pot, add 2-3 tablespoons of butter and place over medium-high heat. Add the onions and thyme, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onions begin to brown, about 5-10 minutes. Reduce heat to low, add a few tablespoons of water, scraping the bottom of the pot to release the brown bits. Continue to cook the onions on low to caramelize, about 30 more minutes. Remove caramelized onions to a bowl and set aside to cool slightly.
- Deglaze the pot with sherry and add the stock. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5-10 minutes. Set aside broth and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, build the dippers. Spread softened butter on one side of two pieces of bread. Place the bread buttered-side-down on a clean work surface. Top both slices of bread with a slice of Gruyere cheese each. Top one slice with reserved caramelized onions and top with the other slice of bread, cheese-side-down, to make a grilled cheese sandwich. Continue making grilled cheese sandwiches.
- Place a large nonstick pan or skillet over medium heat. Place a couple sandwiches in the pan and weigh down with a brick or a weighted pan. Cook until golden-brown, about 3-4 minutes. Flip and cook until the other side is golden-brown, about 3 more minutes. Remove and set aside to cool slightly. Continue cooking remaining sandwiches. Set side.
- To serve, cut the sandwiches into pieces about 2-inches wide. Serve hot broth on the side and dip sandwiches in the broth!
- Helpful Tips:
- Make the broth and the sandwiches ahead of time! Reheat the sandwiches in the oven and serve!
- Serve the broth in mugs with the sandwiches on the side!
Similar categories: Courses & Meals Lunch Soups Appetizers, Starters & Snacks Cheese Appetizers Bread & Pastry Appetizers Dips and Spreads
rate this recipe
Oven Smoked Lamb Ribs with Potato and Pea Salad
Banana Cream Pie
Spring Three Bean Salad
Grilled Greens Salad
Lightened Up Chickpea and Mushroom Meatball Platter
Whole Roasted Cauliflower with Poblano Vinaigrette and Goat Cheese Cream
Not Your Mama's Pigs in a Blanket
Fried Chicken Sandwich
Strawberry Pie with Brown Butter Crust
Spring Quiche with Ham and Asparagus
Palak Paneer (Creamy Spiced Spinach with Cheese)