French Onion Soup
Make a favorite bistro staple in your own home!
- step-by-step directions
French Onion Soup
- 2 pounds medium yellow onions (sliced)
- 1/2 bunch fresh thyme (tied with kitchen twine)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup full-bodied red wine
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 slices baguette (1/2-inch slices)
- 1/2 pound Gruyere or mild Swiss cheese (grated)
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese (grated)
- In a heavy pot, cook onions, thyme, bay leaves, salt, olive oil and butter over moderate heat, for about 45 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are a deep caramel color. Add flour and stir, cook for about 1 minute. Stir in wine and cook for about 2 minutes. Stir in broth, water, and black pepper and bring to a boil. Then reduce to a simmer and cook, uncovered, another 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When ready to serve, toast baguette slices. Preheat broiler. Remove bay leaves and thyme stems from soup. Ladle soup into oven-safe crocks or bowls. Top with toasted baguette slice, then grated gruyere, then grated parmesan. Broil until cheese bubbles and turns light golden brown.
- NOTE: If you don’t have oven-safe crocks, you can make cheesy croutons. Place toasted baguette slices on a baking pan, top with both cheeses. Broil until cheese bubbles and turns light golden brown. Place one cheesy crouton on top of each bowl of soup.
1. This recipe is best taken slow, so make sure to take your time in all the steps of the recipe.
2. In the crocks, make sure to leave enough room for the bread and cheese.
3. If you don’t have oven safe crocks, put the Baguettes with Cheese on a baking sheet and heat them in the oven, then add it to the soup.
Herbed Asparagus Frittata with Pea Shoot Salad
Striped Bass with Endive and Spring Onions
Pea Pesto Pasta
Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee
Poule au Pot
Braised Lamb with Spring Vegetables
Peas and Carrots with Polenta
Asparagus & Cheese Tart
Spinach & Artichoke Puffs
Roast Chicken with Lemon-Sage Pan Sauce