Daphne's delicious fruity dessert shows that grills aren't just for burgers or steaks!
Fresh Grilled Cornbread with Bacon-Blackberry Compote
- Olive Oil
- 3-4 ears Corn (shucked)
- 1 1/4 cups Buttermilk
- 3 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Maple Syrup
- 2 cups Cornmeal
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 4 teaspoon Baking Powder
- Pinch Salt
- 1/2 cup Cold Unsalted Butter (cut in 1/2-inch cubes)
- 6 slices Bacon
- Blackberry Compote
- 1 pint Fresh Blackberries
- 4 tablespoons Honey
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 1/2 cup Water (plus more if needed)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Brush the Corn with Olive Oil and grill for 2-3 minutes per side, until Corn is lightly charred in places.
- Stand the Corn and carefully cut off the Kernels, reserving the Kernels and any liquid.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the Buttermilk, Eggs, and Maple Syrup. In a large food processor, combine the Cornmeal, Flour, Baking Powder, and Salt, pulsing a few times to mix. Add the Butter and Corn Kernels and pulse until Corn and Butter are coarsely chopped. Stir this dry mixture into the wet mixture and transfer to a lightly Oiled 9x9 baking dish.
- Bake for 45 minutes to an hour, until golden and a cake tester comes out clean. Rest 20 minutes before cutting.
- Meanwhile, arrange the Bacon on a wire rack lined baking sheet. Cook for 10-15 minutes, until crispy. Once cooled, crumble into small bits.
- If desired, warm the slices of Cornbread on the grill. Drizzle compote over Cornbread and garnish with crumbled Bacon.
- For the Blackberry Compote:
- Combine all of the ingredients in a small saucepot, and bring to a boil. Simmer 10 minutes, just until Blackberries begin to break down slightly.