Fresh Veggie Frittata
A Fresh Veggie Frittata tasty for any time of day!
- step-by-step directions
Fresh Veggie Frittata:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups swiss chard (leaves only, thinly sliced)
- 1 cup zucchini (stem removed, small dice)
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes (quartered)
- fresh basil (torn, to garnish)
- 4 teaspoons homemade hot sauce (optional, to garnish)
Homemade Hot Sauce:
- 1 pound Serrano or Fresno chilies (tops removed, seeded, roughly chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (roughly chopped)
- 1 small onion (peeled, roughly chopped, about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cup white distilled vinegar
- 1 lime (rind peeled,cut into strips)
- 4 pieces whole wheat bread (toasted)
- 4 tablespoons jam (no sugar added)
- 2 whole pears, diced (1/2 fruit per serving)
- For the Frittata: Preheat the broiler to medium-high heat.
- In a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil. Add the swiss chard and zucchini and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the vegetables soften, about 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and yogurt. Season with salt and pepper. Add the eggs to the vegetables and gently stir until the eggs begin to set but are still runny, about 2-3 minutes. Top the mixture with the tomatoes and place under the broiler until golden brown, about 1-2 minutes.
- For the Hot sauce: In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a blade attachment, add chilies, garlic, onion and salt. Pulse until mixture is finely chopped. Pour chili mixture into a glass jar, cover loosely, and leave out at room temperature overnight to ferment slightly.
- The next day, pour vinegar into jar containing chili mixture. Stir lime rind strips into chili vinegar mixture. Continue to let it sit out until it reaches desired flavor and spiciness, up to 7 days. The longer the sauce ages, the more the flavor will intensify.
- Once desired flavor has been reached, pour chili mixture into the bowl of a food processor. Pulse on high until it is a smooth puree and then strain through a fine mesh strainer. Refrigerate to keep fresh.
- To Serve: Slide the frittata out of the pan, slice, and place one slice on each plate. Top frittata slice with hot sauce and torn basil and serve with a side of one slice whole wheat toast and half of a pear per plate.
- Tip: Watching your waistline? Use all egg-whites to start your day with lower cholesterol!
5 Ingredient Crinkle Cookies
Perfectly Spiced Roast Chicken
Classic Holiday Brisket
Polenta with Sausage Ragu and Fresh Mozzarella
Roasted Pork Shoulder in Banana Leaf
Holiday Gingerbread Cookie
Zabaglione with Berries and Chocolate
Rich Chocolate Bundt Cake with Toasted Almonds
PB&J Cereal French Toast
Everything Bagel Cracker and Spinach Dip