Fine cornmeal yield a crisp exterior on the fish for an irresistible bite.
- step-by-step directions
- 3 pounds Catfish Filets
- 2 cups Buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon Hot Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups Fine Cornmeal
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- Vegetable Oil; for frying
- Tartar Sauce; to serve
- Malt Vinegar; to serve
- Lemon Wedges; to serve
- Mix together the Buttermilk and the Hot Sauce. Place Catfish in a 9x13" baking dish and cover with Buttermilk mixture. Place in fridge, removing to flip fish halfway through, for 1 hour. Remove from fridge 10 minutes before cooking.
- Heat 2 inches of oil, in a large cast iron pan, to 350 F.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the remaining ingredients in a rimmed baking dish. Working in batches, remove Catfish from the Buttermilk and allow excess to drip off. Place into the dry mixture and coat on both sides. Lift and gently remove excess Cornmeal mixture before placing into oil. Cook for 7-8 minutes, turning once, or until golden and cooked through. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate. Repeat with remaining fish.
- Serve with Tartar Sauce, Malt Vinegar, and Lemon Wedges.
Spicy Fried Shrimp
Black-Eyed Peas and Pimento Cheese Nachos
Spaghetti with Ramps and Pecorino
Pork with Gingered Plums
Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding
Blackberry Ricotta Pizza
Flourless Chocolate Cake with Peanut Brittle
Peach and Sriracha Chicken Over Coconut Rice
Quinoa and Shrimp Medley
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Roasted Carrots and Chickpeas with Feta Vinaigrette