Fine cornmeal yield a crisp exterior on the fish for an irresistible bite.
- step-by-step directions
- 3 pounds Catfish Filets
- 2 cups Buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon Hot Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups Fine Cornmeal
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- Vegetable Oil; for frying
- Tartar Sauce; to serve
- Malt Vinegar; to serve
- Lemon Wedges; to serve
- Mix together the Buttermilk and the Hot Sauce. Place Catfish in a 9x13" baking dish and cover with Buttermilk mixture. Place in fridge, removing to flip fish halfway through, for 1 hour. Remove from fridge 10 minutes before cooking.
- Heat 2 inches of oil, in a large cast iron pan, to 350 F.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the remaining ingredients in a rimmed baking dish. Working in batches, remove Catfish from the Buttermilk and allow excess to drip off. Place into the dry mixture and coat on both sides. Lift and gently remove excess Cornmeal mixture before placing into oil. Cook for 7-8 minutes, turning once, or until golden and cooked through. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate. Repeat with remaining fish.
- Serve with Tartar Sauce, Malt Vinegar, and Lemon Wedges.
Chicken Kabobs with Greek Village Salad
Grilled Grouper with Key Lime Mango Salsa
Leftover Meat 'n' Potato Ravioli
Spicy Roasted Head of Cauliflower
Grilled Shrimp with Bacon Jam
Tropical Grilled Shrimp Salad
Capri-Style Vegetable Salad
Grilled Calamari Chopped Salad with Chickpeas, Olives & Salami