Fried Chicken Sandwich
THE BEST FRIED CHICKEN SANDWICH EVER!
- step-by-step directions
Pickled Cucumbers and Carrots:
- 1/4 cup Kosher salt
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons whole coriander
- 2 limes (zest only, cut into 1-inch strips)
- 6 cups water
- 1 English cucumber (cut into 1/4-inch rounds)
- 1 pound carrots (peeled, cut into 1/4-inch rounds)
- 1 jalapeno (slit down the middle)
- 2 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup hot sauce
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/4 cup hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons chives (chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (peeled, grated)
- 4 sesame hamburger buns
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup seasoned mayo
- iceberg lettuce (shaved)
- For the Pickled Cucumber and Carrots: In a medium saucepan, over medium-high heat, add salt, brown sugar, bay leaves, coriander, lime zest and water. Stir to combine and bring to a boil, cooking until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat, let cool and set aside.
- In a heat-resistant bowl, add cucumber, carrots, and jalapeno. Pour pickling liquid over vegetables and stir to combine. Set aside to cool. Once cooled, cover and allow to sit overnight or up to 5 days in an airtight container.
- For the Fried Chicken: Line a baking sheet with a baking rack and set aside.
- Butterfly the chicken breasts, cutting all the way to the other side, creating 2 cutlets from each chicken breast. Place the cutlets on a clean work surface, cover with plastic wrap, and using a mallet, pound to 1/4-inch thickness. Slice each cutlet in half widthwise, and set aside.
- In a small bowl, add salt, baking powder, and sugar and stir to combine. Season both sides of chicken pieces with salt mixture and place on prepared baking sheet. Transfer to refrigerator, and allow to chill overnight, uncovered.
- The next day, prepare dredging station. In a shallow baking dish, add flour, cornstarch, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne and season with salt and pepper. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- In a second shallow baking dish, add buttermilk, egg, hot sauce and season with salt and pepper. Whisk to combine. Remove 1/4 cup of mixture and set aside.
- Dredge the chicken breasts in the flour mixture, then dredge breasts in the buttermilk mixture. Whisk the reserved 1/4 cup of buttermilk mixture into the flour and dredge the chicken breasts a final time in the flour and buttermilk mixture, patting any clumps into the breasts. Remove to a baking sheet lined with a baking rack and allow to sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before cooking.
- When ready to cook, fill a Dutch oven with 2-3 inches of vegetable oil and preheat to 360ºF. Line a a clean baking sheet with a clean baking rack. Set aside.
- Gently place the dredged and rested chicken breasts into the preheated oil. Fry until golden brown and crispy, about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove to prepared baking sheet and allow to cool slightly.
- For the Seasoned Mayo: In a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, ketchup, hot sauce, chives and garlic. Set aside.
- To Serve: Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Brush the cut sides of the hamburger buns with mayonnaise. Arrange buns, cut side-up on a baking sheet and transfer to the oven. Bake until golden brown and toasted, about 3-4 minutes. Remove and allow to cool slightly.
- Spread the bottom buns evenly with seasoned mayonnaise, and top each with 2 pieces of fried chicken breasts, lettuce, pickles and top bun. Serve immediately.
- Tip: Store seasoned mayonnaise in an airtight container for up to one month!
rate this recipe
Smoked Rob Roy Cocktail
Portuguese Salted Cod Fritters
Beer Bull's Eye
Oyster Po' Boys
Crispy Baked Potato Casserole
North African Chicken and Spinach Stew
Mini Vegan Sweet Potato Pies
Smoked Cheddar and Creole Mac-n-Cheese
Maple Panna Cotta with Roasted Grapes and Pistachios