Fried Chicken with Asian Caramel Sauce
Looking for a fun twist on your classic fried chicken? Check out Michael's Fried Chicken with Asian Caramel Sauce
- step-by-step directions
Caramel Fish Sauce:
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup soda water
- 2 shallots (peeled, thinly sliced)
- 2 pieces star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 dried hot thai red chili
- 1/2 cup fish sauce
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Heat a large Dutch oven with vegetable oil to 360ºF.
- For the Caramel Fish Sauce: In a medium saucepan over high heat, add the sugar and water, and bring to a boil without stirring. Swirl the pot and cook until it turns a deep amber color, about 10-12 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the shallots, star anise, cinnamon, dried chili, and fish sauce, whisking constantly to combine. Allow the sauce to cool completely. Strain sauce through a fine mesh sieve and discard the spices.
- For the Chicken: Place rice flour in a baking dish and season with salt and pepper. In a medium bowl, add the flour, cornstarch, and soda water and whisk to combine. Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Dredge the chicken drumsticks in the rice flour, then the batter, allowing any excess to drip off. In batches, drop the dredged chicken into the oil and fry until golden brown and cooked through, about 8-10 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 165ºF. Remove the chicken to a paper-towel lined tray.
- Add the hot chicken to a large mixing bowl with the sauce and toss to coat.
- Tip: 1. Fry the chicken in advance and keep warm in a 200ºF oven. Toss with sauce right before serving.
- 2. Keep the sauce as a condiment in the refrigerator in a sealed container for up to a week.
German Potato Salad
Spicy Turkey Lime Soup
Korean BBQ Tacos
Polenta Souffle with Pecorino and Black Pepper
Maple Bacon Cupcakes
Buttermilk Roasted Chicken with Baby Arugula Salad
Strawberry Raspberry "Napoleons"
Lightened Up Turkey Patty Melt
Patty Melt with Sauerkraut
The World's Best Baked Ziti
Grilled Mortadella and Goat Cheese Packets