Chocolate mousse sandwiched between peanut butter shortbread and coated in melted chocolate is simply heavenly.
Frozen Chocolate Peanut Butter Bombe
- Peanut Butter Shortbread
- 8 tablespoons Unsalted Butter (softened)
- 1/3 cup Creamy Peanut Butter
- 1/2 cup Packed Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour (whisked; plus more for dusting)
- 2 tablespoons Espresso (hot)
- 2 tablespoons Almond Liquor
- 1 teaspoon Powdered Gelatin
- 4 ounces Bittersweet Chocolate (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 2 large Eggs (separated)
- 1/8 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- 6 tablespoons Granulated Sugar (divided)
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Chocolate Glaze
- 12 ounces Dark Chocolate (melted)
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 6 ounces White Chocolate (melted)
- For Peanut Butter Shortbread:
- In a large bowl, beat together the Butter, Peanut Butter and Sugar until fluffy. Add the Vanilla Extract and Salt and stir to combine. Stir in the Flour, making sure not to overwork the dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and work dough together and shape into a disk. Wrap tightly in plastic and chill for 30 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4" thickness. Cut into 2" disks (or a size slightly smaller than the mold you are using.
- Place the dough circles onto a parchment lined baking sheet and cook for 4-5 minutes or until cooked but not hard.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- For Chocolate Mousse:
- Combine the Espresso and Almond Liquor in a small bowl and sprinkle Gelatin over top. Allow to bloom for 5-7 minutes.
- In a double boiler, melt the Chocolate and the Butter. Mix in the Egg Yolks and Gelatin mixture. Cover, and set aside.
- In a stand mixer or using a hand mixer, whip the Egg Whites and Cream of Tartar until foamy, then gradually add two tablespoons of Sugar and continue to whip until stiff peaks form. The Whites should glossy and not dry. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whip the Heavy Cream, remaining Sugar and Vanilla Extract until soft peaks form.
- Mix a few spoonfuls of the Egg White mixture into the Chocolate Mixture, and then gently fold the Egg Whites into the Chocolate Mixture until thoroughly combined. Fold in Whipped Cream. Transfer to a piping bag.
- For Chocolate Glaze:
- Melt the Dark Chocolate in a microwave and stir in Vegetable Oil.
- To assemble bombes:
- Lightly grease a mini half sphere silicon mold or mini muffin tin with Coconut Oil.
- Pipe the mousse into mini half sphere silicon molds so they are 2/3 way full. Place a Shortbread cookie on top of each mold and freeze for 2 hours.
- Place a baking rack on a parchment or wax paper covered sheet pan. Put frozen bombes on rack. Pour Chocolate evenly over bombes. Reuse Chocolate dripped on sheet pan if need be. Place in the freezer to set Chocolate, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from fridge and drizzle White Chocolate to decorate.
- Place in freeze until ready to serve.
Similar categories: Ingredients Chocolate Chocolate Candies Courses & Meals Desserts Candies Holidays & Occasions Valentine's Day