You can't miss this new spin on an Italian classic!
Goat Cheese Fettuccine
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 red onion (very thinly sliced)
- 1/2 leek (thinly sliced & rinsed)
- 3 scallions (chopped)
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh fettuccine
- 1/2 bunch chives (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons grappa (to flambé)
- 1/2 pound aged raw goat cheese (preferably domestic)
- 1/3 pound parmigiano-reggiano (freshly grated)
- chive blossoms (to garnish)
- freshly cracked black pepper
- Heat a few tablespoons of oil and butter in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onions and leeks and cook for 2-3 minutes until soft. Toss in the scallions and chives and cook for 2 more minutes, seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta for 2-3 minutes, or 1 minute short of package instructions. Drain and reserve pasta water.
- Add a few ounces of pasta water and stir to create a light sauce.
- If making in a cheese wheel, pour grappa over the cheese and ignite to melt cheese. Add the onion mixture and pasta and toss to coat. Sprinkle in Parmigiano-Reggiano and toss to create a cheesy sauce.
- If building in a pan, add the grappa to the onion mixture and ignite. Once flame subsides, add the cooked pasta, sprinkle in both cheeses and toss to coat.
- Serve warm with garnish of chive blossom and cheese.