Pasta with Tomatoes and Olives
Mario Batali's Grab Bag Challenge
- 1 pound Vermicelli Pasta
- Olive Oil
- 1 Onion (sliced thinly)
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 28- ounce can Diced Tomatoes
- 1/2 15 .5-ounce can Olives (drained)
- 1/2 15 .5-ounce can Artichokes (drained)
- Chili Flakes
- 1/4 pound Shrimp (shelled; heads and tails off)
- 1/3 cup Fennel Fronds (chopped)
- Bring a large pot of water up to a boil and season generously with salt and pepper. Drop the vermicelli and cook one minute less than the package instructions.
- Place a large saute pan over medium-high heat and add 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the onion and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat the onion in oil and cook just until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add the can of tomatos, the olives and artichokes. Season with a pinch of chili flake.
- Once the sauce has reduced, about 4 minutes, add the shrimp and fennel fronds. Let cook for one minute or until shrimp is cooked through.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the saute pan. Toss to coat and continue cooking one minute longer. Drizzle with olive oil and adjust seasoning. Plate and serve.