Daphne Oz's Grapefruit Thyme Spritz
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Water
- 10 fresh Thyme sprigs
- 1/4 cup fresh Lemon Juice (from about 2 lemons)
- 1 cup Grapefruit Juice (strained; from about 3 grapefruits)
- 8 ounces Vodka
- 20 ounces Seltzer
- fresh Grapefruit slices for garnish
- To make a thyme simple syrup, in a small saucepan over low heat, combine the sugar and water. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring gently, until the sugar is dissolved. Gently bruise 6 thyme sprigs by banging them with the back edge of a knife or the heel of your palm and add them to the simple syrup. Remove the mixture form the heat and set aside for at least 2 hours. Strain the liquid just before using to remove thyme; reserve the syrup and discard the thyme.
- Combine the lemon juice and grapefruit juice in a pitcher and add simple syrup to taste (about 1 tablespoon per serving); stir to combine. Store remaining simple syrup in a sterilized glass jar in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- To each glass, add ice, 2 ounces of vodka, and a quarter of the grapefruit mixture. Top with seltzer. Garnish with a few fresh grapefruit slices and one of the remaining thyme sprigs.