Spice up your dinner with this tasty chicken dish
Green Chile Chicken with Spring Vegetables
- 2 tablespoons Canola Oil
- 2 Yellow Onions; 1/2 inch dice
- 2 Leeks (white and light green parts only); trimmed; cut in half lengthwise then into 1/2-inch-thick half-moons
- 3 Celery Ribs; 1/2 inch slices
- 6 Jalapenos; roasted; peeled; stemmed and seeded
- 4 Garlic Cloves; thinly sliced
- 1 head Roasted Garlic; cloves squeezed out of peels; peels discarded
- 2 teaspoons Coriander Seeds; toasted and ground
- 2 teaspoons Cumin Seeds; toasted and ground
- 2 fresh or Dried Bay Leaves
- 2 quarts Vegetable Stock
- 3 Chicken Breasts; bone-on; skinless
- 2 teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- Green Purée
- 2 cups Baby Spinach
- 1 cup Basil Leaves
- 1 cup Flat Leaf Parsley
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated Lemon Zest
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper to taste
- Kosher Salt
- 1/2 pound Green Beans; trimmed and cut into small pieces
- Heat the Oil in a large sauce pot over medium heat. Add the Onions, Leeks, Celery, Jalapenos, and sliced Garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally until the Onions are translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add the Roasted garlic, Coriander, Cumin, Bay Leaves, Stock, Salt, and Pepper. Bring to a boil, then add the Chicken Breasts, cover and reduce the heat to maintain a steady simmer. Simmer for 45 minutes.
- Remove Chicken Breasts, set aside and let cool. Discard the Bay Leaves. In batches, purée the Broth and Vegetables until very smooth. Remove half of the purée and reserve for another use, keeping the remaining half in the blender.
- When Chicken is cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones and shred into bite-size pieces. Reserve meat and discard the bones.
- Add the Spinach, Basil, Parsley, Garlic, Lemon Zest and Juice to the blender and purée until very smooth. Check seasoning, adjusting as necessary.
- Pour the mixture into the individual serving bowls, and top with shredded Chicken and Green Beans.
- *To make Green Beans: Fill a bowl with Ice and Water. Bring a medium saucepan of Water to a boil. Add 2 teaspoons of Salt, then the Green Beans. Cook until crisp-tender and bright green, about 4 minutes. Drain well and transfer to ice water. When cool, drain again and transfer to a small bowl.
- **To Roast Jalapenos: Place on a hot grill or set directly on the burner grate of a gas stove over an open flame and cook, turning, until blackened and blistered.
- **To Roast a head of Garlic: Trim off the top 1/4 inch. You should be able to see the tops of the cloves. Place the Garlic in a small baking dish, cut side up. Drizzle with Oil and sprinkle with Salt and Pepper. Cover tightly with foil, then bake in a 350°F oven until the cloves are tender, about 45 minutes.