Use any dried beans and greens for this healthy soup recipe.
Greens and Beans Soup
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1 large Onion (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons minced Garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon Red Chile Flakes (optional)
- 2 1/2 cups Dried Beans (any kind; rinsed; picked over and soaked if you have time)
- 2 teaspoons Salt (plus more to taste)
- Black Pepper to taste
- about 3 pounds Kale; Collard Greens; Broccoli Raab; or Escarole (washed and roughly chopped)
- Put the oil in a stockpot over medium-high heat. When it's hot, add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the chile flakes if you're using them.
- Add the beans, 3 quarts water, and the salt, and bring to a boil. Adjust the heat so the soup bubbles gently, and cover partially. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are tender but still intact (anywhere from 30 to 90 minutes depending on the type of bean and whether or not you soaked them).
- Return the soup to a boil, sprinkle with pepper, and stir in the greens. Partially cover and cook, stirring once or twice and adding more water if necessary to keep the mixture soupy, until the greens are tender, 10 to 20 minutes depending on the kind you use. Taste and adjust the seasoning, and serve.