Just when you thought grilled cheese couldn't get any better, this tasty casserole will be a quick favorite.
Grilled Cheese & Tomato Casserole
- 1 Crusty Sourdough Peasant Loaf (1/2" slices)
- 1 pound Deli Sliced Aged Cheddar Cheese
- 1 cup Fresh Basil Leaves (plus more to garnish)
- 1 stick Unsalted Butter (softened)
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 medium Onion (grated)
- 3 Garlic Cloves (grated)
- 4 .5 ounces Tomato Paste
- 1 tablespoon Paprika
- 2 teaspoon Fresh Thyme Leaves
- 1 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 cup Milk
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 6 Eggs
- 1/4 cup Monterey Jack Cheese (grated)
- 1/4 cup Aged Cheddar Cheese (grated)
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Lightly grease a 9x9 baking dish with Cooking Spray. Butter both sides of each piece of Bread and season with Salt and Pepper. Place on a baking sheet and cook until golden, flipping once, about 8 minutes. Build sandwiches using two slices of Bread, 3 slices of Cheese and 2-3 Basil Leaves. The basil should be placed between the slices of Cheese. Cut the sandwiches into 4 pieces each.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high with a few tablespoons of Olive Oil. Add the Onions and sauté until lightly caramelized, seasoning with Salt, about 3 minutes. Add the Garlic, Tomato Paste, Paprika, Thyme, and Pepper Flakes and cook until fragrant and paste is rust-like in color.
- Reduce heat to low and whisk in Milk and Cream. Season with Salt and Pepper and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and ladle a small amount of the warm sauce into a bowl with the Eggs and whisk to temper. Pour in the remaining sauce form the pan and whisk to combine.
- Shingle the sandwiches into the prepared baking dish and pour the Egg mixture over. Sprinkle on the grated Cheeses and bake for 30 minutes until golden brown on top.
- Serve warm with a garnish of sliced basil.