Break out of your boring salad routine and toss asparagus, Pecorino, and candied walnuts onto grilled greens.
Grilled Radicchio Salad
- For the Simple:
- 3 large heads Radicchio Treviso (rinsed, outer leaves removed; cut in half lengthwise)
- 2 ears of Corn
- 1 Lemon
- For the Special:
- 2 cups Asparagus (sliced thinly on the bias)
- 1/2 cup shaved Pecorino
- 1/4 cup Chives
- 1 Lemon
- For the Spectacular:
- 1 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Candied Walnuts (roughly chopped)
- Salt and Pepper
- Olive Oil
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat.
- Put the balsamic vinegar in a small pot over medium high heat. Bring up to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Reduce the vinegar by 1/2, or until thick and syrupy, about 12 to 15 minutes. Take off the heat and let cool.
- For the Simple: Drizzle the cut side of the radicchio with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place the radicchio on the grill cut side down and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the leaves are charred and tender.
- Place the corn on the grill and char, rotating every few minutes, about 4 minutes total. Cut the corn off the cob and add to a bowl. Squeeze the juice of the lemon over the corn. Toss. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Top the radiccio with the charred corn.
- For the Special: In a bowl, add the asparagus, Pecorino and chives. Dress with lemon juice and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning. Top the radicchio with the asparagus salad.
- For the Spectacular: Top the radicchio salad with the candied walnuts and then drizzle the whole salad with the reduced balsamic vinegar.