Try these variations on a favorite Mexican condiment
Guacamole Bar by Daphne Oz
- Guacamole Base
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1/4 cup White Onion (finely minced)
- 1/2 Jalapeno (finely minced; use more or less to taste)
- pinch Kosher Salt
- 2 Avocados (cubed)
- 1 tablespoon Lime Juice (plus more as needed)
Grilled Pineapple and Jicama
- 2 Pineapple Slices (about 1/2-inch thick)
- Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Jicama (finely diced)
- 1/4 cup Pepitas (toasted)
Pea, Pistachio and Radish
- 1/2 cup Fresh or Completely Thawed Peas
- 1/4 cup Toasted Pistachios
- 1 bunch Radishes (halved)
- For the Guacamole Base:
- In a molcajete, mortar and pestle, or in a large bowl with a potato masher, combine the Garlic, Onion, Jalapeno, and Salt. Crush together. Add the Avocado and Lime Juice and mash to desired consistency. At this point, you can add the mix-ins, or season to taste and serve.
- For the Pineapple-Jicama Guacamole:
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium. Brush the Pineapple with Oil, and grill for 3 to 4 minutes per side, until caramelized and lightly charred. Remove and allow to cool slightly, and then finely dice.
Add the grilled Pineapple and the Jicama to the Guacamole base, and mash together to desired consistency. Adjust seasonings, adding more Salt, Pepper, or Lime Juice to taste. Sprinkle the pepitas over the top to garnish. Serve.
- For the Pea, Pistachio, and Radish Guacamole:
- Omit one Avocado from the guacamole base, and add the Peas and mash to a creamy consistency. Then add the Avocado and mash together to desired consistency. Fold in Pistachios and adjust seasonings to taste, adding more Salt, Pepper, or Lime Juice to taste. Serve with the halved Radishes.