This Greek sandwich is great for a snack, lunch or even dinner.
- For the Roasted Lamb:
- 6 shallots (minced)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/4 cup fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 6- pound bone-in leg of lamb
For Tzatziki Sauce:
- 2 cups greek yogurt
- 1 cucumber
- kosher salt (to taste)
- 2 lemons (juiced and zested)
- 2 tablespoons Chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- ground black pepper (to taste)
- 18 pitas
- 3 Roma tomatoes (sliced)
- 1 head Romaine (shaved)
- 2 Spring onions (green and whites shaved)
- For the Roasted Lamb: Mix together in a medium bowl the shallots, garlic, rosemary, oregano, sugar, coriander, red pepper flakes, and salt. Rub the mixture all over the surface of the lamb. Place in a large glass baking dish, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove the lamb from the baking dish, rinse off the seasonings, and pat dry. Let the lamb sit a room temperature for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Heat a roasting pan or large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add the lamb and brown on all sides, 7 to 10 minutes. Transfer the lamb, fat side up, to a roasting rack set into a roasting pan. If you have extra rosemary lay the sprigs over the lamb with a drizzle of olive oil over the top. Roast until the lamb reaches an internal temperature of 140F, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove the lamb from the pan and set it aside to rest for 20 minutes. Slice lamb into thin strips.
- For Tzatziki Sauce: Put the yogurt in cheesecloth lined-lined strainer set over a bowl and let drain for 24 hours in the refrigerator. Peel and dice the cucumber, sprinkle it with salt and place in a strainer at room temperature for 2 to 3 hours to drain.
- Stir together the yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice and zest, mint, garlic, and shallot in a medium bowl until thoroughly combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- For Assembly: Wrap pitas in damp paper towel, and warm in microwave or oven. Top pita with lamb, sauce, lettuce, tomatoes and spring onions as desired. Wrap sandwich in foil.