Vanilla Cake filled with Marshmallow Icing
Michael Symon's Homemade Twinkies
- For the Cakes:
- Nonstick Cooking Spray or Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 cup Cake Flour
- 1/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 tablespoons Milk
- 4 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 5 large Eggs (separated and at room temperature)
- 3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
For the Filling:
- 6 tablespoons Unsalted Butter (room temperature)
- 1 1/2 cups Confectioners Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 cup Marshmallow Fluff
- 2 tablespoons Heavy Cream
- 2 tablespoons Condensed Milk
- For the Cakes: Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Adjust the oven rack to the lower-middle position. Spray the molds with cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the cake flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt. In a small saucepan over low heat, heat the milk and butter until the butter melts. Remove from the heat and add the vanilla. Cover to keep warm.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg whites on high speed until foamy. Gradually add 6 tablespoons of the sugar and the cream of tartar and continue to beat until the whites reach soft peaks, about 6 minutes.
- Transfer the beaten egg whites to a large bowl and add the egg yolks to the standing mixer bowl (there’s no need to clean the bowl). Beat the egg yolks with the remaining 6 tablespoons sugar on medium-high speed until the mixture is very thick and a pale lemon color, about 5 minutes. Add the beaten egg whites to the yolks, but do not mix.
- Sprinkle the flour mixture over the egg whites and then mix everything on low speed for just 10 seconds. Remove the bowl from the mixer, make a well in one side of the batter, and pour the melted butter mixture into the well. Fold gently with a large rubber spatula until the batter shows no trace of flour and the whites and yolks are evenly mixed, about 8 strokes.
- Immediately scrape the batter into the prepared molds, filling each with about 3/4 cup of batter (a measuring cup can aid in this process). Bake until the cake tops are light brown and feel firm and spring back when touched, 13 to 15 minutes. Transfer the pan containing the molds to a wire rack and allow the cakes to cool in the molds.
- For the Filling: In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the butter, confectioners’ sugar, vanilla extract, salt and marshmallow fluff. Add the cream and condensed milk and beat just until smooth. Transfer the frosting to a pastry bag fitted with a 1/4-inch round tip. Pipe frosting into three spots on the underside of the twinkie, taking care not to overfill. Serve while still warm.