Your favorite shrimp, but healthier!
Bobby Deen's Baked Coconut Shrimp
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 orange (zested and juiced)
- 2 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 6 tablespoon plain panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup flaked unsweetened coconut
- 3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 (21-25 count) pound large shrimp (peeled (tails left on)/deveined/butterflied/tapped dry)
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- To make the dipping sauce, toast red pepper flakes and curry in a saucepan over medium heat for about 1 minute. Add, the orange juice and zest, vinegar, and honey. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is heated through, 1 – 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- To make the shrimp, combine the panko, coconut, and flour in a bowl or baking dish. Beat the egg whites in a medium bowl until slightly frothy. Add the shrimp and toss to coat. Lift each shrimp from the egg whites, letting the excess dip off the shrimp, then coat in the crumb mixture, pressing to adhere. Place the shrimp on the baking sheet in a single layer. Lightly spray with nonstick spray. Bake until the shrimp are golden on the outside and opaque in the center, 8 – 10 minutes.
- Serve with the sauce.