Fill up on this festive dish.
Porcini-Rubbed 3-Bone Rib Roast
- 2 tablespoon Sugar
2 tablespoon Kosher Salt
2 tablespoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1 tablespoon Hot Red Pepper Flakes
1/4 cup Porcini Mushroom Powder
5 Garlic cloves (minced)
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4-6 pound 3 Rib Standing Rib Roast
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, mushroom powder, garlic, and olive oil.
- Stir well to form a thick paste with the consistency of wet sand. Rub the paste all over the rib eye, coating it evenly. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate it for at least 12 hours.
- Remove the rib eye from the fridge, unwrap it, and let it stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Place the roast on a rack in the roasting pan, rib side down and fat side up, and insert a meat thermometer in a thick part. Roast for 30 minutes. Then reduce the heat to 325F and continue to cook until the meat reaches 5 to 10 degrees below the desired final temperature (125F for a final temp of 135F for medium-rare). Remove, and allow to rest for 20 minutes before carving.