A filling, hearty salad!
Mario Batali's Roasted Beets with Horseradish Vinaigrette
- FOR COOKING THE BEETS:
- 1 pound Beets (stems removed and discarded/scrubbed/patted dry)
- 2 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper
- FOR DRESSING AND SERVING THE BEETS:
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper plus more to taste
- 3 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoon Prepared Horseradish, plus more to taste
- I Bunch Scallions for garnish chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the beets in a baking dish, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Cover the dish with foil and cook for 1 hour until the beets are easily pierced with a knife. Remove the beets from the oven, open the foil, and set aside until they are cool enough to handle. Rub the beets with a clean towel to remove the skins and cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Transfer cubed beets to a bowl.
- To make the dressing, combine the vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper and whisk. Add the oil in a stream whisking constantly then pour over the beets. Add two tablespoons horseradish and toss again. Taste and adjust seasoning, salt, pepper, horseradish, if desired. Transfer the beets to a serving platter and top with chopped scallions. Serve at room temperature.