A festive dish!
Mario Batali's Lamb Shanks with Olives and Oranges
- 4 large meaty lamb shanks (rinsed and patted dry)
- salt and pepper (for seasoning the shanks)
- 6 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil plus extra to taste
- 2 red onions (cut into 1/4" dice)
- 1 celery stalk (chopped into large chunks)
- 2 carrots (chopped into large chunks)
- 12 cloves garlic (peeled)
- 1 navel orange (cut into 8 wedges)
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 cup Gaeta olives
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup basic tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock
- zest of one orange
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Season shanks with salt and pepper.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over high heat until smoking. Reduce the heat and sear the lamb shanks, turning occasionally until dark golden brown. About 15-18 minutes. Remove and transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the diced onions, carrot, celery, garlic and orange wedges to the pot and cook until the garlic is soft, about 8 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the rosemary, olive, wine, tomato sauce, some olive oil and stock and bring to a boil.
- Replace the lamb shanks in the pot and return to a boil. Cover tightly, place in the oven and cook for 1 1/2 hours until meat is fork tender.
- Allow the shanks to rest for 10 minutes in the sauce, then transfer them to plates and sprinkle with orange zest and serve.