Serve this side dish at your holiday dinner.
Mario Batali's Lentils with Pancetta
- 1/2 pound Small Lentils (preferably Castellucio)
- 1 Carrot (halved)
- 1 Onion (halved)
- 1 Celery Rib (halved)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 2 ounces Pancetta
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Flaky Sea Salt and coarsely ground Black Pepper
- Put the lentils in a medium pot, add water to cover by 2 inches, and bring to a simmer. Add the vegetables, mustard, and pancetta, reduce the heat, and simmer gently until the lentils are just tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid, and transfer to a large bowl.
- Remove the vegetables and pancetta from the lentils; discard the vegetables. Coarsely chop the pancetta and add to the lentils. Add just enough of the reserved cooking liquid to moisten the lentils, then add the oil and season with salt and pepper. Serve, or let stand at room temperature to bring out the flavors.