Don't miss out on the ultimate pairing of everybody's favorite bar foods.
Hot Wings with Fried Pickles
- 2 pounds Chicken Wings (wing tip attached)
- 1 large jar of Pickles ("chips" style)
- 1 cup Cornstarch
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- pinch of Salt
- Your favorite seasoning (such as Smoked Paprika or Cayenne)
- 4 cups Vegetable/Peanut oil (for frying)
- 1/2 cup Cornstarch
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Chipotle
- 1 teaspoon Celery Salt
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne
- pinch of Salt
- 1/2 cup Pilsner
- 1/2 cup Vodka
- Soy sauce
- Rice Wine Vinegar
- Fresh Ginger
- Hoisin Sauce
- The night before, drain all of the Pickle Juice from your Pickles in to a bowl or air- tight container. Reserve the Pickles for frying later. Submerge all of your Chicken Wings in the liquid and brine overnight in the refrigerator.
- The next day, remove the Wings from the brine and pat dry with paper towels. Let the chill come off of the Wings for about 20 minutes before cooking. Discard the brine.
- In a large mixing bowl or gallon-sized zip-top bag, mix together 1 cup Cornstarch, 2 teaspoons Baking Powder, a pinch of Salt and a pinch of your favorite seasonings (like Smoked Paprika or Cayenne). Add your Wings to the Cornstarch mixture. Coat the Wings well, but be sure to shake off any excess.
- At this point the Wings should sit for 2 hours (or up to overnight,) coated in the dry dredge.
- Fill a heavy bottomed Dutch oven or deep fryer with the frying Oil and clip on a frying thermometer. Heat over medium-high heat until Oil reaches a temperature of 360°F.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, whisk together all of the dry Batter ingredients. Then add all of the wet ingredients, stirring to smooth out any lumps.
- When the Oil is up to temperature, dredge the cornstarch coated Wings in the Batter, letting any excess drip off and gently lay them into the Oil. Cook in batches so that the temperature of the Oil doesn’t drop and fry until golden brown on both sides.
- Meanwhile, stir together the sauce ingredients, adjusting each of the ingredients to taste.
- Remove the Wings to a paper towel lined plate and then transfer to a mixing bowl containing your sauce. Toss to coat then serve.
- For the Pickles:
- Gently pat dry the Pickle chips, and then repeat the same breading process as the Wings. Fry until the Wings float, and then cook 2 minutes longer, draining on paper towel lined plates, and seasoning immediately with Kosher Salt. Serve hot with the Chicken Wings.