Best served alongside a piece of fried catfish, hush puppies are deep-fried bites typical in the South.
Hush Puppies with Sweet Chili Sauce
- 1/2 cup Honey
- 1 tablespoon Sambal; Chili sauce
- 2 cups Yellow Cornmeal
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 3/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Cracked Black Pepper
- 1 pinch Cayenne Pepper
- 1 large Onion; finely diced
- 2 Eggs; separated
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 2 Cloves Garlic; minced
- 2 tablespoons Bacon Fat; melted
- Vegetable Oil; for frying
- Preheat oil to 350 F.
- Heat Honey over low in a non-stick pan. Add Chili Sauce and stir to combine. Keep Honey warm until ready to serve.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients until evenly distributed. Stir in Onion to coat.
- In another bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients excluding the Egg Whites. Pour into the dry mix and stir to form batter, making sure not to over mix.
- Whip the Egg Whites in a clean bowl until stiff peaks hold. Gently fold into the batter just until incorporated, some streaks may be visible.
- Using spoons, fry rounded teaspoons of batter for 3-4 minutes, or until golden. Work in batches to avoid overcrowding pot.
- Drain onto a paper towel-lined plate and immediately sprinkle with Salt.
- Serve with a drizzle of warm Sweet Chili Sauce.