Italian Egg Boat
Get ready to be obsessed!
- step-by-step directions
Roasted Grape Tomatoes:
- 1 pint grape tomatoes (stems removed, halved)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove (peeled, minced)
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 Italian loaf (about 12-inches long)
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese (grated, plus more for garnish)
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella (torn into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 cup roasted grape tomatoes (recipe above)
- 1/2 bunch basil leaves (torn)
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper (to taste)
- For the Roasted Tomatoes: Preheat oven to 400ºF. Prepare a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- In a medium bowl, toss together tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, oregano. Season with salt and pepper. Add to the prepared baking sheet. Place in the oven and roast until soft and slightly browned, about 10-12 minutes. Remove and allow to cool to room temperature.
- For the Egg Boat: Lower the heat in the oven to 350ºF.
- Carefully make a "V" cut along the center of the Italian loaf, leaving about 1/2-inch left at the bottom. Scoop out the center of the bread. Place the Italian loaf on a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, add the eggs, heavy cream and parmesan. Whisk together until combined. Stir in the roasted tomatoes and torn mozzarella. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture into the Italian loaf. bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the eggs are puffed and jiggle slightly in the center. Garnish with parmesan cheese and torn basil. Once cool enough to handle, use a serrated knife to cut the egg boat into 4 pieces.
- Tip: Tip add your favorite herbs, vegetables and cheese to your egg boat!
rate this recipe
Cannelloni al Forno
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Waffle Pies with Herbed Eggs
Chai Tea Oatmeal