Italian Rainbow Cookies
An delicious Italian tradition!
- step-by-step directions
Italian Rainbow Cookies
- nonstick cooking spray
- 8 ounces almond paste (broken up)
- 1 and 1/3 cups granulated sugar (divided)
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 4 sticks unsalted butter (cubed, room temperature)
- 6 large eggs(separated)
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon green food coloring
- 3/4 teaspoon red food coloring
- 1 cup seedless raspberry jelly
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Spray three 9x13-inch baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray and line the baking sheets with parchment paper. Spray the parchment paper with cooking spray and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, add the almond paste, 1 cup of sugar and salt. Beat on medium until creamed together, about 5 minutes. Increase the speed and beat in the butter until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Add egg yolks and almond extract and beat until incorporated. Add the flour in batches, mixing until fully combined. Remove mixture to a large bowl and set aside.
- Clean out the bowl of the standing mixer and fit with a whisk attachment. To the clean bowl, add egg whites and beat until soft peaks form. Add remaining 1/3 cup of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Whisk in about 1 cup of the egg whites into the batter to loosen it. Then in 2 batches, gently fold the remaining egg white mixture into the batter.
- In 3 medium bowls, divide the batter evenly. To the first bowl, stir in the green food coloring. To the second bowl, stir in the red food coloring. Spoon each of the batters into the separate prepared baking sheets, evening the tops out with an offset spatula. Place in the oven and bake until an inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- When completely cooled, use a pastry brush to spread half of the heated raspberry jam on the top of the green cake. Loosen the white cake, and invert the white cake on top of the green cake. Remove the parchment paper and discard. Spread the remaining half of the raspberry jam onto the top of the white cake. Loosen the red cake and invert on top of the white cake. Remove and discard the parchment paper. Cover the cake with foil and place a 9x13-inch baking sheet on top of the cakes. Weigh the baking sheet down with heavy items like canned goods and place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
- Remove cake from the refrigerator and remove the cans, baking sheet and foil. Transfer cake to baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place a small saucepan, filled with 1-inch of water over medium heat. Place a heatproof bowl on top of the saucepan and add the chocolate chips. Stir continuously until the chocolate melts. Using an offset spatula, evenly spread the melted chocolate over the top of the cake. Place cake in the freezer and allow to chocolate to harden, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the freezer and slice into 2-inch wide logs. Slice the logs into 1/2-inch thick slices ands serve!
- Tip: For a tasty twist, use apricot jam instead of raspberry!
Braised Chicken Thighs with Caramelized Onions and Egg Noodles
Easy Tiramisu Cake
Grilled Skirt Steak with Charred Tomatillo Salsa
Gluten Free Coconut Pancake
Chickpea and Lentil Curry Over Toasted Pita
Marinated Pork T-Bones
Tuna Noodle Casserole with Potato Chip Topping
California Veggie Burger
Spaghetti Squash Latkes
Apple Cider Donuts
Spiced Turkey Meatloaf
Kielbasa with Beer and Onions