Layer the Capicola and pork shoulder for a delicious crowd pleasing Italian dish!
Jalapeno Pesto Braciole
- Jalapeno Pesto:
- 6 jalapeno peppers (cored and seeded)
- 5 serrano chilies (cored and seeded)
- 1/2 medium red onion (finely diced)
- 1/2 cup sliced blanched almonds
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt (to taste)
For the Bracioles
- 1 1/2 pounds pork shoulder (sliced thinly and pounded out to an even thickness
- 4 ounces capicola ham (thin slices)
- escarole (chopped)
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- olive oil
- For the Jalapeno Pesto: combine all of the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until nearly smooth. Season with salt.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Assemble the Bracioles by laying a piece of the Pork Shoulder out on a cutting board and seasoning both sides with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Lay a piece of the Capicola over the pork, followed by a spoonful of the Jalapeno Pesto and a small handful of the Escarole and drizzle of Olive Oil. Roll up andh secure seam with a toothpick. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Grill the Bracioles for 3-5 minutes per side, in batches if necessary, until completely cooked through. Remove the toothpicks before serving.
- Helpful Tips:
1. Ask the butcher to pound out the pork shoulder to your desired thickness.
2. Season on the inside only, the outside will have the spice rub.
3. You could use the pesto as a pasta sauce.
4. To make a spice rub, use any three herbs/spices, plus equal parts salt and sugar. Change the spices based on the flavor profile.
5. Internal temp should be about 140 degrees.