Jalapeno Pesto Braciole
Layer the Capicola and pork shoulder for a delicious crowd pleasing Italian dish!
- step-by-step directions
Jalapeno Pesto Braciole
- 6 jalapeno peppers (cored and seeded)
- 5 serrano chilies (cored and seeded)
- 1/2 medium red onion (finely diced)
- 1/2 cup sliced blanched almonds
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt (to taste)
- 1 1/2 pounds pork shoulder (sliced thinly and pounded out to an even thickness
- 4 ounces capicola ham (thin slices)
- escarole (chopped)
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- For the Jalapeno Pesto, combine all of the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until nearly smooth. Season with salt.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Assemble the bracioles by laying a piece of the pork shoulder out on a cutting board, seasoning both sides with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Lay a piece of the capicola over the pork, followed by a spoonful of the jalapeno pesto and a small handful of the escarole and drizzle of olive oil. Roll up with secure seam with a toothpick. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- In a small bowl, mix to combine the spice rub ingredients. Generously season the outside of the rolled bracioles. Drizzle the outsides with extra-virgin olive oil.
- Grill the bracioles for 3-5 minutes per side, in batches if necessary, until completely cooked through.
- Remove the toothpicks. Cut each braciole in half on a bias and serve alongside Michael's Grilled Escarole with White Beans.
- Helpful Tips:
1. Ask the butcher to pound out the pork shoulder to your desired thickness.
2. Season on the inside only, the outside will have the spice rub.
3. You could use the pesto as a pasta sauce.
4. To make a spice rub, use any three herbs/spices, plus equal parts salt and sugar. Change the spices based on the flavor profile.
5. Internal temp should be about 140 degrees F.
Spicy Fried Shrimp
Spaghetti with Ramps and Pecorino
Black-Eyed Peas and Pimento Cheese Nachos
Pork with Gingered Plums
Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding
Blackberry Ricotta Pizza
Flourless Chocolate Cake with Peanut Brittle
Peach and Sriracha Chicken Over Coconut Rice
Quinoa and Shrimp Medley
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Roasted Carrots and Chickpeas with Feta Vinaigrette