Korean Inspired Short Ribs
Who doesn't love some short ribs!
- step-by-step directions
Korean Braised Short Ribs:
- 5 pounds beef short ribs (bone-in, trimmed, cut crosswise into 2-inch pieces)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion (peeled, diced)
- 1 bunch scallions (root end removed, thinly sliced)
- 5 cloves garlic (peeled, minced)
- 1 (1-inch) piece ginger (peeled, minced)
- 3 large carrots (peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 3 stalks celery (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 and 1/2 cups soy sauce
- 1/2 cup mirin
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 cups rice (to serve)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 pounds English cucumbers (thinly sliced)
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup mirin
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon gochujang (Korean chili paste)
- 1 clove garlic (peeled, grated)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger (peeled, grated)
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- For the Korean Inspired Short Ribs: In a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil. Pat short ribs dry with paper towels, and season all over with salt and pepper. In 2 batches, add the short ribs to the Dutch oven and sear on all sides, until a deep golden brown, about 3-4 minutes per side. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Add the onion and scallions to the Dutch oven, and saute until soft and translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger, stirring to combine, and cook for 2 minutes more. Add the carrots and celery, stir to combine, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Deglaze the Dutch oven with the rice wine vinegar, scraping up all the brown bits that have collected at the bottom of the pan. Add the brown sugar, stirring to coat. Add the soy sauce, mirin, and orange juice, stirring to combine. Return the short ribs to the Dutch oven, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and allow to cook until the meat is very tender, about 3 hours.
- Meanwhile, cook rice according to package instructions and spoon onto a large serving platter.
- Plate cooked short ribs on top of rice and spoon cooking liquid over top. Top with cucumber kimchi.
- For the Cucumber Kimchi: Place cucumbers in a large colander and set over a large bowl. Toss with salt and allow to sit for 20 minutes. Rinse thoroughly.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together rice vinegar, mirin, toasted sesame oil, gochujang, garlic, ginger and lime zest. Add rinsed cucumbers and toss to combine. Cover tightly and transfer to the refrigerator and allow to steep for at least 2 hours.
- Tip: Rice or mashed potatoes would make an excellent side to this tasty dish!
Similar categories: Beef
rate this recipe
Broccoli Cheddar Oatmeal Bake
Roasted Chicken and Pimento Mac and Cheese
Fried Chocolate Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries
Stout Ice cream
Foolproof Lemon Bars
Basic Roast Chicken
Herby Store Bought Tomato Sauce
Quick Tomato Sauce
Classic Tomato Sauce
Green Eggs and Ham Breakfast Crepe
Bologna Fried Rice