Not your boring beef, lamb adds a little deliciousness to your next pot of chili
- 2 pounds Lamb Shoulder and Leg (cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 2 teaspoons Olive Oil
- 1 Red Onion (chopped)
- 3/4 cup Celery (chopped)
- 1/2 cup Carrot (chopped)
- 6 Garlic Cloves
- 2 Serrano Chiles
- 1 tablespoon Ground Cumin
- 2 teaspoons Hot Pimentón
- 1 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1 teaspoon Ground Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups Water
- 1/4 cup Tomato Paste
- 3 tablespoons Harissa (plus more to garnish)
- 2 - 15 1/2 ounce cans of Chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- 1 cup Chopped Tomatoes
- Cilantro (chopped)
- Preserved Lemons (sliced to garnish)
- Jalapenos (chopped)
- Scallions (chopped)
- Season the Lamb generously with Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper.
- Heat a large, heavy bottomed Futch oven over medium-high heat. Add a few tablespoons of Olive Oil and sear the Lamb deeply on all sides, and then remove to a plate. Add the Red Onion, Celery, and Carrot to the pan with a pinch of Salt, and cook until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add the Garlic, Serrano Chiles, hot Pimentón, Ground Ginger, Turmeric, Cumin, and Cinnamon and cook just until fragrant, about a minute. Add the Tomato Paste, and stir to coat everything, allowing the Tomato Paste to rust, about a minute, then add the Harissa and then add the Water, Chickpeas, Chopped Tomatoes, and the Lamb back into the Dutch oven. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 45 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with Cilantro, preserved Lemon, Jalapeno, Scallion, and Cilantro.