Layered eggplant makes this Italian casserole enjoyable for everyone (even the carb-free among us)!
Layered Eggplant Lasagna
- Olive Oil
- 1 Vidalia Onion (diced)
- 1/2 bag of Spinach (cut stems off and rough chop)
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves (minced)
- 6-8 Portabella Mushrooms (gills and stems removed; sliced 1/4" thickness)
- Red Wine
- 2 large Eggplant (peeled, 1/2" thick slices)
- 1 1/2 cups Panko Breadcrumbs
- 16 ounces Ricotta or Cottage Cheese
- 3 cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 3 Eggs (2 for coating eggplant before panko crumbs and 1 with ricotta)
- Marinara Sauce
- Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Seasonings for Panko
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 2 teaspoons Ground Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- Preheat oven at 400°F.
- Sauté Onions in Olive Oil until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add the Spinach and cook until wilted and bright green. Add the Garlic and cook until fragrant. Set aside to cool.
- Sauté Mushrooms in Olive Oil until Mushrooms release liquid. Add a splash of Red Wine and boil off alcohol.
- Place Flour in a shallow dish. Whisk 2 Eggs in a bowl. Whisk together Bread Crumbs and seasonings in another bowl.
- Take slices of Eggplant and lightly coat in Flour then wet both sides with Egg and then coat with Panko Crumbs.
- Heat a large sauté pan coated with Olive Oil and pan fry Eggplant in batches.
- Set Eggplant aside when done and let cool.
- Mix Ricotta, one Egg, Spinach mixture, Salt and Pepper in a bowl.
- Spread Tomato Sauce in bottom of rectangular pan. Add a layer of Eggplant, then Spinach mixture, Mushrooms, and Mozzarella. Continue to layer in this order (about 3 layers).
- After last layer of Mozzarella cheese, use the leftover sauce and place spoonfuls over top of lasagna before grating the Parmesan cheese on top.
- Top with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 400°F for 30 minutes covered, uncovered for 15 minutes or until brown and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 15 minutes before serving.