Layered Eggplant Lasagna
Layered eggplant makes this Italian casserole enjoyable for everyone (even the carb-free among us)!
- step-by-step directions
Layered Eggplant Lasagna
- Olive Oil
- 1 Vidalia Onion (diced)
- 1/2 bag of Spinach (cut stems off and rough chop)
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves (minced)
- 6-8 Portabella Mushrooms (gills and stems removed; sliced 1/4" thickness)
- Red Wine
- 2 large Eggplant (peeled, 1/2" thick slices)
- 1 1/2 cups Panko Breadcrumbs
- 16 ounces Ricotta or Cottage Cheese
- 3 cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 3 Eggs (2 for coating eggplant before panko crumbs and 1 with ricotta)
- Marinara Sauce
- Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Seasonings for Panko
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 2 teaspoons Ground Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- Preheat oven at 400°F.
- Sauté Onions in Olive Oil until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add the Spinach and cook until wilted and bright green. Add the Garlic and cook until fragrant. Set aside to cool.
- Sauté Mushrooms in Olive Oil until Mushrooms release liquid. Add a splash of Red Wine and boil off alcohol.
- Place Flour in a shallow dish. Whisk 2 Eggs in a bowl. Whisk together Bread Crumbs and seasonings in another bowl.
- Take slices of Eggplant and lightly coat in Flour then wet both sides with Egg and then coat with Panko Crumbs.
- Heat a large sauté pan coated with Olive Oil and pan fry Eggplant in batches.
- Set Eggplant aside when done and let cool.
- Mix Ricotta, one Egg, Spinach mixture, Salt and Pepper in a bowl.
- Spread Tomato Sauce in bottom of rectangular pan. Add a layer of Eggplant, then Spinach mixture, Mushrooms, and Mozzarella. Continue to layer in this order (about 3 layers).
- After last layer of Mozzarella cheese, use the leftover sauce and place spoonfuls over top of lasagna before grating the Parmesan cheese on top.
- Top with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 400°F for 30 minutes covered, uncovered for 15 minutes or until brown and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 15 minutes before serving.
Chicken Kabobs with Greek Village Salad
Grilled Grouper with Key Lime Mango Salsa
Leftover Meat 'n' Potato Ravioli
Spicy Roasted Head of Cauliflower
Grilled Shrimp with Bacon Jam
Tropical Grilled Shrimp Salad
Capri-Style Vegetable Salad
Grilled Calamari Chopped Salad with Chickpeas, Olives & Salami
Grilled Swordfish With Mojo
Stephen Smith's Meaty Cheesy Lasagna
Fried Chicken Sandwich with Brussels Sprouts Slaw