It's no Earl Grey, but channel your inner Brit and enjoy this tea time treat for yourself!
Lemon Citrus Tea Cookies
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour (plus more for rolling)
- 4 teaspoons High-Quality Loose-Leaf Herbal Lemon Tea (finely ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon Table Salt
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Lemon Curd; Raspberry Jam; or your favorite Jam or Preserves (optional)
- Food Processor Method: Combine the Flour and Sugar in the bowl of a food processor, and pulse until combined. Add the Flour and Salt, and pulse until combined. Add the Butter and Extract, and process continuously until the dough begins to come together. Turn out onto a lightly Floured work surface and bring the dough together. Form into 2 disks about 1-inch thick. Refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour.
- Stand Mixer Method: In a small bowl, whisk the Flour, Tea, and Salt until well mixed.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle, beat the Butter and Sugar on medium-high speed until creamy but still gritty, about 2 minutes. Beat in the Lemon and Vanilla Extracts. Reduce the speed to low and beat in the Flour just until the dough sticks together.
- Form the dough into 2 disks, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll the dough between sheets of lightly Floured parchment paper until 1/4-inch-thick. Use a lightly Floured 2-inch round cookie cutter or another cookie cutter of your choice and cut out as many rounds as possible. Transfer to the prepared pans, spacing 1 inch apart. If the dough has softened, refrigerate again until firm. Gather scraps, re-roll, and cut.
- Bake until pale golden, not brown, about 15 minutes. Cool on the pans on wire racks for 2 minutes, then cool completely on wire racks.
- If you want to make sandwich cookies, spread your favorite Jams and Preserves in a thin layer (less than 1 teaspoon) onto the bottoms of the cookies, and sandwich together.
- Serve with Tea.