Turn this traditional British dessert into an amazing brunch not only your mother, but EVERYONE will love!
Liz???s Breakfast Bread Pudding
- 15 Thin Slices White Bread
- 6 tablespoons Unsalted Butter (at room temperature)
- 8 ounce Slab Bacon, Rind Removed, 1/4" (diced)
- 6 large Eggs
- 4 cups Milk
- 6 ounces Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 5 Scallions; White and Green Parts (sliced)
- Spread 1 side of each slice of Bread with softened Butter.
- Sauté Bacon in heavy skillet over med high heat until crisp. Drain the Bacon, reserving the fat in a large bowl.
- In that same bowl, add the Milk and the Eggs and whisk together. Season with Salt and Pepper.
- Arrange 8 slices of the buttered Bread, Butter side down, in a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle the Cheese, Scallions, and cooked Bacon pieces over the Bread.
- Arrange the remaining Bread over the Cheese mixture, Butter side up. Pour the custard over, making sure to moisten all slices. Gently press down to soak up all the custard. Let the dish set covered in foil, overnight in fridge.
- Bake covered at 350°F for about 50 minutes, until deep golden brown and puffed well above edges of the pan. Remove the foil for the last 15 minutes of cook time for a crunchier top.