Traditional mac and cheese is brought to new heights when topped with a crunchy pecan topping!
Mac and Cheese with Cheddar Crumble
- For The Mac and Cheese
- Kosher Salt
- 3 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 3 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon Mustard Powder
- 3 cups Whole Milk
- 1/4 cup Yellow Onion (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon Sweet Paprika
- 1 large Egg
- 12 ounces Sharp Cheddar (shredded)
- 1/2 pound Elbow Macaroni
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- For The Crumble
- 1 pound Butter
- 4 cups Unbleached Flour
- 2 cups Pecans (toasted and chopped)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 pound Cheddar Cheese; shredded
- For the Mac and Cheese:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and Salt it generously.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt the Butter over medium heat. Whisk in the Flour and Mustard and whisk for 5 minutes. Just keep it moving; you don’t want any lumps. Whisk in the Milk, then the Onion and Paprika. Simmer, whisking occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat the Egg. Continue beating while adding a little of the hot Milk mixture. Whisk the Egg mixture into the Milk mixture, then stir in three-quarters of the Cheese. Season with 1 teaspoon Salt and add Pepper to taste.
- Add the Macaroni and cook until just al dente, about 2 minutes. Drain well, then immediately transfer to the Cheese Sauce. Fold until well mixed, then pour into a 2-quart casserole. Spread the mixture in an even layer and sprinkle the remaining Cheese all over the top.
- Bake until bubbling and the top is browned, about 25 minutes. Remove from the oven sprinkle crumble topping over dish, and return to oven for another 5 minutes.
- Serve hot.
- For the Crumble:
- Combine Flour, Pecans, Salt and Cayenne in a large bowl. In the bowl of a standing mixer, cream Butter and Cheddar. Gradually add in the Flour and mix until well combined.
- Form the dough into a log. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Crumble log into an even layer on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake to deep golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes, turning the pan halfway through baking. Cool completely on baking sheet.