Magical Moon Pies
Make these moon pies for dessert tonight!
- step-by-step directions
Magical Moon Pies
- 1 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups marshmallow spread
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup refined coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons agave or corn syrup
- For the Shortbread Cookies: in the bowl of a stand mixer add butter and sugar and mix until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and mix to combine.
- In a large bowl, add flour, graham cracker crumbs and salt and whisk to combine. Add the flour mixture gradually to the creamed butter and mix just until a dough forms. Form the dough into 1 1/2-inch log, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices. Place on baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven to a baking rack and allow to cool completely.
- For the Filling: in a medium bowl, add the marshmallow spread and orange zest. Transfer marshmallow mixture to a piping bag or large ziptop bag. Pipe 1 tablespoon of filling in the center of cookie. Top with a second cookie and lightly press to spread to edges. Repeat with remaining cookies. Transfer cookies to a tray and chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- For the Chocolate Glaze: line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl add the chocolate, coconut oil and agave and melt over a double boiler or in the microwave, stirring in 30-second intervals. Allow to cool. Using 2 forks, dip each sandwich cookie into chocolate until coated. Arrange on baking sheet and place in the refrigerator. Allow to chill until the chocolate has set, about 1 hour.
- Helpful Tip: store the chocolate glaze at room temperature in a squeeze bottle.
Bundt Pan Lasagna
Autumn Pinata Cake
Red Wine Braised Short Ribs with Gremolata
Fall Harvest Hungarian Goulash
Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Curried Yogurt and Scallions
Poached Pears with Mascarpone Cream
Apple Cider Donut Bread Pudding
Bella Notte Spaghetti
Ratatouille Tarte Tatin
Corned Beef Sandwich Bread Pudding
Fiesta Corn Dip