Magical Moon Pies
Make these moon pies for dessert tonight!
- step-by-step directions
Magical Moon Pies
- 1 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups marshmallow spread
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup refined coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons agave or corn syrup
- For the Shortbread Cookies: in the bowl of a stand mixer add butter and sugar and mix until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and mix to combine.
- In a large bowl, add flour, graham cracker crumbs and salt and whisk to combine. Add the flour mixture gradually to the creamed butter and mix just until a dough forms. Form the dough into 1 1/2-inch log, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices. Place on baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven to a baking rack and allow to cool completely.
- For the Filling: in a medium bowl, add the marshmallow spread and orange zest. Transfer marshmallow mixture to a piping bag or large ziptop bag. Pipe 1 tablespoon of filling in the center of cookie. Top with a second cookie and lightly press to spread to edges. Repeat with remaining cookies. Transfer cookies to a tray and chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- For the Chocolate Glaze: line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl add the chocolate, coconut oil and agave and melt over a double boiler or in the microwave, stirring in 30-second intervals. Allow to cool. Using 2 forks, dip each sandwich cookie into chocolate until coated. Arrange on baking sheet and place in the refrigerator. Allow to chill until the chocolate has set, about 1 hour.
- Helpful Tip: store the chocolate glaze at room temperature in a squeeze bottle.
Holiday Gingerbread Cookie
Zabaglione with Berries and Chocolate
Rich Chocolate Bundt Cake with Toasted Almonds
PB&J Cereal French Toast
Everything Bagel Cracker and Spinach Dip
Noodles with Cabbage and Onions
Make-Ahead Beef Bourguignon
Breakfast Carbonara Casserole
Sweet Potato Pierogies
Sugar Cookie Christmas Trees