Egg Rolls with Pineapple-Mango Chutney
Jasmine Knox's Mango Chicken Egg Rolls
- For the Mango Puree:
- 3 Mangoes (peeled and chopped)
- 1 Garlic clove(chopped)
- 1 Shallot (chopped)
- 1/2 cup Canned Coconut Milk (mostly pulp)
- 1/3 Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Curry Powder (Thai Yellow)
- 1 Lime (juiced)
- handful Cilantro Leaves
- Red Pepper Flakes (to taste)
For the Eggrolls:
- 1 tablespoon Coconut Oil
- 3 Garlic cloves(chopped)
- 2 Shallots (chopped) plus 1 Shallot (thinly sliced)
- 1 pound Ground Chicken
- 1/2 cup Mango Puree
- 1/4 cup Cilantro Leaves
- 1 cup Shredded Mango
- 1 cup Shredded Carrots
- 1 package Egg Roll Wrappers
- Coconut Oil (to fry)
For the Pineapple Mango Chutney:
- 1 jar Pineapple Preserves
- 2 Mangoes (peeled and cubed)
- Remaining Mango Puree
- 1 1/2 tablespoon grated Ginger
- 2 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 small Red Onion (minced)
- Salt; Pepper; Red Pepper Flakes to taste
- For the Mango Puree: Combine the puree ingredients in a blender and puree until completely smooth.
- For the Eggrolls: Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the coconut oil, and once hot, add the garlic and shallot and cook until soft. Add the chicken and cook, breaking up as you go along, until completely cooked through. Season generously with salt and freshly ground pepper. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the 1/2 cup of mango puree and the cilantro to the bowl with the chicken mixture and mix together until thoroughly combined.
- Lay out the egg roll wrappers and smear a dab of the mango puree onto each of the wrappers with the back of a spoon. Add a bit of the filling and top with a few slivers of shallot, mango, and carrots.
- Wet your finger and moisten the border of the wrapper. Fold the two sides over, and then close the top and bottom end. Seal and repeat with remaining ingredients. While assembling, heat 1 inch of coconut oil to 375 degrees F in a dutch oven or cast iron skillet. Fry the egg rolls until golden brown and crisp, draining on paper towels. Serve with Pineapple-Mango Chutney.
- For the Pineapple Mango Chutney: In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the pineapple preserves, mango, remaining mango puree, ginger, garlic, and red onion. Once bubbling, remove from heat and season to taste.