Use your leftover tomatoes from the garden in this delicious salad!
- step-by-step directions
- 2 cups firm, good bread (trimmed of its crust, toasted under the broiler, and cut into ½-inch squares, keep the crumbs)
- 3 fresh, ripe, firm, round tomatoes (divided)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 to 2 anchovy fillets (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon capers (rinsed if packed in salt, drained if packed in oil)
- 1/4 yellow bell pepper (cut into 1/4-inch dice)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 cup cucumber (peeled, seeded and diced into 1/4-inch cubes)
- 1/4 red onion (thinly sliced, soaked in water and drained)
- basil (julienned, to garnish)
- Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- In a medium bowl, add the cubed bread and breadcrumbs. Place a food mill over the bowl and puree 1 of the tomatoes over the bread. (Alternatively, use a hand grater instead of a food mill). Season with salt, toss and let steep.
- Using a food processor, or the back of a spoon against the side of a bowl, mash the garlic, anchovies, and capers to a pulp.
- In a large serving bowl, add the anchovy mixture, bell pepper, olive oil, and vinegar, and toss thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut the other 2 tomatoes into ½-inch cubes, picking out some of the seeds if there are too many of them.
- To the large serving bowl, add the tomatoes, soaked bread mixture, cucumber, and onions. Toss to combine and season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with basil.
Similar categories: Courses & Meals Lunch Lunch Salads Appetizers, Starters & Snacks Other Salads Side Salads
rate this recipe
Foolproof Lemon Bars
Basic Roast Chicken
Herby Store Bought Tomato Sauce
Quick Tomato Sauce
Classic Tomato Sauce
Green Eggs and Ham Breakfast Crepe
Bologna Fried Rice
Kal's Spicy Salsa
Roasted Portobello Tacos with Cabbage Slaw and Smashed Avocado
Cheddar Chicken Enchilada Skillet
Carrot Cake Poppers