Use your leftover tomatoes from the garden in this delicious salad!
- step-by-step directions
- 2 cups firm, good bread (trimmed of its crust, toasted under the broiler, and cut into ½-inch squares, keep the crumbs)
- 3 fresh, ripe, firm, round tomatoes (divided)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 to 2 anchovy fillets (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon capers (rinsed if packed in salt, drained if packed in oil)
- 1/4 yellow bell pepper (cut into 1/4-inch dice)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 cup cucumber (peeled, seeded and diced into 1/4-inch cubes)
- 1/4 red onion (thinly sliced, soaked in water and drained)
- basil (julienned, to garnish)
- Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- In a medium bowl, add the cubed bread and breadcrumbs. Place a food mill over the bowl and puree 1 of the tomatoes over the bread. (Alternatively, use a hand grater instead of a food mill). Season with salt, toss and let steep.
- Using a food processor, or the back of a spoon against the side of a bowl, mash the garlic, anchovies, and capers to a pulp.
- In a large serving bowl, add the anchovy mixture, bell pepper, olive oil, and vinegar, and toss thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut the other 2 tomatoes into ½-inch cubes, picking out some of the seeds if there are too many of them.
- To the large serving bowl, add the tomatoes, soaked bread mixture, cucumber, and onions. Toss to combine and season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with basil.
Similar categories: Courses & Meals Lunch Lunch Salads Appetizers, Starters & Snacks Other Salads Side Salads
Molasses Glazed Ham with Sweet Potato Buttermilk Biscuits
Chocolate Peppermint Marshmallows
Peppermint Chocolate Torte
Fried Meatballs Stuffed with Mozzarella
Gingerbread Man Cookie Sandwiches
Perfectly Spiced Roast Chicken
Classic Holiday Brisket
5 Ingredient Crinkle Cookies
Polenta with Sausage Ragu and Fresh Mozzarella