Dig Into This Great American Sandwich
Mario Batali's Son Leo's Sloppy Joes
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 ½ pounds ground round
- 5 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tomatoes chopped
- 1 jalapeno minced
- ½ red onion minced
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper
- 2 limes
- To make Pico De Gallo, mix tomatoes, jalapeños, red onion, cilantro, juice of 2 limes, and salt & pepper together.
- To make the Sloppy Joes place a skillet over medium high heat and let it get hot for about a minute.
- Add the oil and spread it so it covers the bottom of the pan.
- Add the ground round and cook, breaking up the meat with the back of a spoon, until all the pink is gone (about 15 minutes).
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir slowly to combine.
- When the liquid starts to simmer, reduce the heat to low, partially cover, and simmer for 45 minutes. Stir occasionally to keep the bottom from scorching.
- Open the roll or arrange the white bread on a plate. Spoon the meat mixture over it and serve.