Potatoes and grave... the perfect combination!
Carla Hall's Mashed Potatoes with Mushroom Sour Cream Gravy
For the mashed potatoes:
2 pound Russet Potatoes (peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes)
6 tablespoon Unsalted Butter (cut into tablespoon-sized pieces)
1/2 cup Whole Milk
Chopped Chives (for garnish)
For the gravy:
1 cup B
- Place potatoes into a large pot and fill with enough cold water to cover. Season with pinch of kosher salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes, until potatoes are very tender.
- Drain and return to pot. Using a potato masher, mash with the butter and milk.
- Melt the 2 tablespoons butter in a skillet over medium-high heat, until it foams and subsides.
- Add the onion and mushrooms and season with a pinch of salt. Sauté until mushrooms are browned, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add the garlic, and sweat until fragrant, about a minute.
- Deglaze the pan with the beef stock.
- To serve, stir in the sour cream and top the mashed potatoes. Garnish with chives and serve.