Quick and Easy Eggplant Parm
Michael Symon's Microwaved Eggplant Parmesan
- 1 large Italian Eggplant (peeled and sliced 1/2-inch thick)
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 3/4 cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup Freshly Grated Parmesan
- 1 1/2 cups Tomato Sauce
- 1 cup Whole Milk Ricotta
- 1 cup Fresh Mozzarella (thinly sliced)
- 1/4 cup Basil Leaves (torn)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Turn the oven to 350 degrees. Combine the breadcrumbs and parmesan and spread in to an even layer on a sheet tray. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until golden brown and toasted. Make sure you check the breadcrumbs after about 5 minutes, moving the edges in and the center out for even toasting. Set aside.
- Arrange the slices of eggplant in a single layer on a paper towel lined microwave safe plate. Season your eggplant with salt, about 1/2 teaspoon total and freshly ground black pepper. Cover with another paper towel. Microwave at 1100W for 3 minutes. Work in batches to cook eggplant.
- Brush the cooked eggplant slices with olive oil and arrange on a single layer and seal the plate with plastic wrap. Microwave again at 1100W, about 4 minutes. Repeat with remaining eggplant.
- In an 8x8 pan, spoon 1/3 of the tomato sauce down. Place 4 slices of eggplant down followed by some ricotta, then mozzarella and basil. Season the cheese very lightly with salt then repeat the process 2 more times, ending with sauce on top. Top with the toasted parmesan breadcrumbs and microwave at 1100W, until the cheese is melted and bubbly, about 5 to 6 minutes.