Midwestern Meat and Potato Pie
Michael gets creative with a delicious Meat and Potato Pie!
- step-by-step directions
- 2 sticks unsalted butter (diced, chilled)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 6-8 tablespoons ice water (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 pound bacon (medium diced)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup celery (thinly sliced)
- 1 onion (peeled, medium diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled, smashed)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1/2 pound russet potatoes (medium diced)
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup parsley (finely chopped)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- For the Pie Dough: Into the bowl of a food processor, add the flour and salt and pulse to combine. Add the cubed butter and pulse until the mixture resembles small peas. While the machine is running, slowly add the ice water, a few tablespoons at a time, until the dough begins to form a ball. Remove to a floured surface and form into a ball. Divide the dough in half, flatten into disks and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- For the Beef Filling: Place a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook until crisp, about 3 minutes. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate. Add the ground beef, season with salt and pepper and cook for 8-10 minutes, until browned. Remove from the pot.
- Add the celery, onion and garlic and allow to sweat for 5 minutes. Add the cinnamon and cloves and stir to combine Add the beef and bacon back to the pot and deglaze the pan with beef stock, scraping the bottom with a wooden spoon. Add the potatoes, thyme leaves, and parsley and stir to combine. Allow to simmer for 20 minutes or until the liquid has evaporated. Allow to cool.
- To Assemble: Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Combine the egg yolk and milk and mix to combine.
- Onto a floured surface, place the pie crusts and roll until 1/4-inch thick. Place one crust in an 8-inch pie plate. Remove meat mixture to the pie shell, cover the pie with the second pie crust, trim the dough, fold over the edges and crimp to seal. Brush the top with the egg wash. Season the crust with salt and pepper and cut a couple of steam slits in the center with a pairing knife.
- Bake for 45 minutes to an 1 hour, or until crust is golden. Allow to cool for 30 minutes and serve warm.
- Tip: Perfect recipe for leftover beef stew. Reduce the liquid in the beef stew before removing to the pie crust. Bake and enjoy.
Braised Chicken Thighs with Escarole and Cannellini Beans
Pumpkin Sweet Rolls
Pumpkin Pot Pie
Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Bark
Shrimp with Sherry Cream Sauce
Bone Broth Lentil Soup
Asian Chicken Meatball Sub
Nashville Hot Fish with Hushpuppies
Braised Pork Chilaquiles
Autumn Pinata Cake
Bundt Pan Lasagna