Mini Bean Tostadas with Marinated Vegetable Skewers
A perfect party appetizer for any occasion!
- step-by-step directions
- 1-2 jicamas (peeled, cut 1-inch pieces)
- 1-2 mangoes (peeled, pith removed, cut 1-inch pieces)
- 1 English cucumber (cut in 1-inch cubes)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup lime juice (reserve half of zest for vinaigrette and other half for garnish)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- wooden skewers
- 8-10 corn tortillas
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 can refried beans (warmed, 15 ounces)
- 1/3 cup cotija cheese (crumbled)
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup scallions (thinly sliced on a bias)
- 1/2 fresno (thinly sliced)
- 1 lime (juiced)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- For the Marinated Vegetable Skewers: Place the jicama, mango, and cucumber alternating on skewers. Place on a baking sheet or in a baking dish. In a small bowl add the honey, lime juice, half lime zest and cayenne and mix to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle over the skewers and allow to marinate for 30 minutes.
- For the Tostadas: Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Place a baking rack inside of baking sheet.
- Using a 3-inch round cutter, cut the tortillas into 3-inch circles. Brush with vegetable oil, sprinkle with salt and place on the baking sheet. Bake for 8-12 minutes or until crispy. Remove from the oven.
- In a medium bowl add the cilantro leaves, scallions and fresnos. Add the lime juice, season with salt and pepper and toss to combine.
- To Assemble: Top the toasted tostadas with the warmed refried beans followed by the cilantro mixture. Garnish with cotija cheese. Serve alongside the vegetable skewers drizzled with additional marinade and garnished with lime zest.
- Tip: Build a tostada bar for your party and allow guests to assemble to prevent tostadas from becoming soggy!
rate this recipe
Foolproof Lemon Bars
Basic Roast Chicken
Herby Store Bought Tomato Sauce
Quick Tomato Sauce
Classic Tomato Sauce
Green Eggs and Ham Breakfast Crepe
Bologna Fried Rice
Kal's Spicy Salsa
Roasted Portobello Tacos with Cabbage Slaw and Smashed Avocado
Cheddar Chicken Enchilada Skillet
Carrot Cake Poppers