Mom's Stuffed Cabbage
Mario's stuffed cabbage is so good, it'll have to remind you of your mom's!
- step-by-step directions
Mom's Stuffed Cabbage
- Green Cabbage (leaves separated)
- Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 ounces Pancetta (chopped)
- 1 small Red Onion (thinly sliced)
- 2 cloves Garlic (thinly sliced)
- pinch Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 ; 28 ounce can Whole Peeled Tomatoes
- 1 pound 80/20 Ground Beef
- 1 pound Sweet Italian Sausage
- 1/2 cup Freshly Grated Pecorino Romano
- 1/3 cup Chopped Fresh Parsley
- 1/4 cup Dried Currants
- 1 cup "Fat Boy" Breadcrumbs
- 1 Egg
- 2 teaspoons Dried Basil (divided)
- 2 teaspoons Dried Thyme (divided)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil and season with Salt to taste like the sea. Blanch the Cabbage until tender and bright green, about 5 minutes. Shock in ice water and set aside to dry. Remove leaves.
- In a large sauté pan, add a few tablespoons of Olive Oil over medium-high heat. Add Pancetta and cook until the fat renders out and the Pancetta Crisps. Add the Onion, Garlic, Crushed Red Pepper Flakes and cook until fragrant. Add a teaspoon of Dried Thyme and Dried Basil. Add the Tomatoes and a generous pinch of Salt. Simmer until it comes together, about 5 minutes, and then set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the Ground Beef, Sausage, Pecorino, Parsley, Currants, a teaspoon of Dried Basil and Thyme, Breadcrumbs, and Egg. Season generously with Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper. Using your hands, mix until just combined.
- In a baking dish lightly greased with Olive Oil, ladle a thin layer of the Arrabiata sauce.
- Spoon some of the filling into each of the leaves of Cabbage, and roll up. Arrange over the Arrabiata sauce in the baking dish. Once full, ladle more of the Arrabiata sauce over the stuffed Cabbage and sprinkle with more Pecorino-Romano. Transfer to oven and bake for an hour to an hour and a half, until the filling is completely cooked through. Serve.
Chicken Kabobs with Greek Village Salad
Grilled Grouper with Key Lime Mango Salsa
Leftover Meat 'n' Potato Ravioli
Spicy Roasted Head of Cauliflower
Grilled Shrimp with Bacon Jam
Tropical Grilled Shrimp Salad
Capri-Style Vegetable Salad
Grilled Calamari Chopped Salad with Chickpeas, Olives & Salami
Grilled Swordfish With Mojo
Stephen Smith's Meaty Cheesy Lasagna
Fried Chicken Sandwich with Brussels Sprouts Slaw