Try Mario's version of this classic sandwich!
Mario Batali's Monte Cristo with Fried Egg
- For the Monte Cristo:
8 slices Thick-cut White Bread
Vegetable Oil (for frying)
1 Egg (lightly beaten)
3/4 cup Milk
3/4 cup Flour
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
4 Ham Slices
4 Smoked Turkey Slices
4 Fontina Cheese Slices
- Preheat 2 inches vegetable oil to 365F.
- In a shallow baking dish, whisk together the egg and milk. Stir in the flour and baking powder, then season with salt and pepper.
- Spread mustard on bread slices. Sandwich each piece of fontina cheese between one slice of turkey and one slice of ham. Add pickled jalapenos if desired and then sandwich between two pieces of bread.
- Batter the sandwiched evenly on all sides with the batter. Drop into the oil, and fry until golden brown and crisp. Remove to a paper towel lined plate and sprinkle with powdered sugar and add a spoonful of your favorite jam.
- While the sandwiches cool, heat the butter in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Once the butter has foamed and subsided, crack each egg into the skillet and fry until the yolk is set.
- Serve a fried egg alongside each Monte Cristo.