Try Mario's version of this classic sandwich!
Monte Cristo with Fried Egg
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 8 slices white bread (thick-cut)
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 4 slices deli ham
- 4 slices smoked turkey
- 4 slices Fontina cheese
- 16 pickled jalapenos (optional)
- powdered sugar (to garnish)
- 4 tablespoons strawberry jam (divided, 1 tablespoon per sandwich)
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
For the Fried Eggs:
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a large cast-iron skillet, preheat 2 inches vegetable oil to 365ºF.
- In a shallow baking dish, whisk together the egg and milk. Stir in the flour and baking powder, then season with salt and pepper.
- Spread mustard on the bread slices and make a sandwich with the ham, turkey, and Fontina. (Add pickled jalapenos, if desired.)
- Coat the sandwiches evenly on all sides with the batter. Drop into the preheated oil, and fry until golden brown and crisp, about 2 minutes per side.
- Remove to a paper towel-lined plate, sprinkle with powdered sugar, and serve with a spoonful of your favorite jam.
- While the sandwiches cool slightly, heat the butter in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Once the butter has foamed and subsided, crack each egg into the skillet and fry until the yolk is set, about 3 or 4 minutes.
- Serve a fried egg alongside each Monte Cristo.