Rich Chocolate Cake
One-Bowl Chocolate Cake
- Unsalted Butter (for pans)
- 1 1/2 cups Unsweetened Cocoa Powder (plus more for pans)
- 3 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 3 cups Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
- 3 large Eggs
- 1 1/2 cups warm Water
- 1 1/2 cups Buttermilk
- 3/4 cup Canola or Safflower Oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter cake pans; line with parchment. Butter parchment; dust with cocoa, tapping out excess. For cupcakes, line muffin tins with paper liners.
- Whisk together cocoa, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bow. Add eggs, the water, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla. With an electric mixer on low speed, whisk until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Divide batter among prepared pans. Bake until a cake tester comes out clean, according to these times: 8-inch round layers: 35 to 40 minutes; 9-inch round layers: 50 to 55 minutes; 9-by-13-inch cake: about 75 minutes; cupcakes: 20 to 25 minutes.
- Transfer pans to wire racks to cool 20 minutes. Turn out cakes or cupcakes onto racks to cool completely.